AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Thursday 23 February 2012

Some background on the Midtown and Into Action cult groups (US)



There are two cult-like groups that I have come across . . . Midtown and “Into Action”. …...

At first glance, they all appear exactly the same. Incredible overzealousness, “in your face” greeting, lots of young members, and the sense of great social community. With Into Action, there is strict adherence to rules and format (which I saw a lot of in the Vision). I understand why these groups are attractive, but oddly, the longer you are around it is almost impossible to feel attracted to it. With that in mind, I really haven’t explored the structure much because my interest in the groups is tainted with contempt prior to investigation . . . so I just stay away. With the Into Action groups, I can confirm the exact same stuff I felt at the Vision for You. Adulation of sponsorship, a clear sense of being different from “mainstream AA” and an undercurrent of arrogance.

.. many AA women ….. have been abused by the Midtown group’s sexual predators. Abuse of new women is institutionalized and tragic. Most of the women who come to their senses and leave are almost impossible to convert to basic AA. Their esteem seems totally destroyed . . . this is one thing I never saw at the Vision or the Into Action groups. I'd characterize it this way . . . Vision was uptight about sex, Into Action seem laissez faire and Midtown is positively sinister.

There is solid evidence that Midtown and Into Action are both involved heavily in the ICYPAA organization. I remember them coming to the Vision lobbying for support back in the mid 90’s and their representatives were all from DC. ICYPAA is not surprisingly very active in our area, I don’t attend though because I consider the “cut off” for young as somewhere around 30 . . .

That is about all I can think of the might be of interest.”

(our edits)

Comment: See US “Cult: Where to Find” for Into Action meeting directory

Cheerio

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS (our usual thanks to our reporter)