AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Saturday 17 January 2015

Step'n Ahead/Last Mile Foundation recruiting in AA meetings (Australia)


From a very confused newcomer – and who can blame them!

Hi,

Sorry to bother you. I’ve had a bad experience with a non-AA Group step'n ahead/thelastmile posing as an AA meeting.

The Sunday Leederville WA meeting I attended (AA events) taught from the step'n ahead/thelastmile book and workbook.

No lessons were from the Big Book or any other AA Literature.

What is AA’s position on Non-AA groups using AA meetings to recruit?

What is AA’s position on Non-AA courses being advertised as AA meetings?

In my last 5.5 weeks I have heard new members are the lifeblood of AA.

I went to 3 meetings yesterday …..... The non-AA Group step'n ahead/thelastmile was recruiting at RPH (Royal Perth Hospital).

I went to Subiaco where I’ve previously seen The non-AA Group step'n ahead/thelastmile was recruiting. I asked the chair/leader what their position was. He said they were part of AA.

This is wrong. Please check - http://www.thelastmilefoundation.org/

I left and went to Claremont. The chair/leader of Claremont/Nedlands said I only have myself to blame. Even though I was recruited in Nedlands with him chairing and the Serenity Magazine was used as authority for attending.

I find it alarming the group chair at Subiaco & Claremont/Nedlands are aware of this group (and allow them to prey on new members)

When I voiced my concerns at the state office I was told we all do it differently.

My problem: If I trust AA with my recovery I need to know they will respect my trust.

If I choose another group that would be my decision (but I choice [sic] AA instead).

If I’m deceived at a vulnerable time – that’s a violation.

The group advertised in Serenity as  The Book Speakers Group are step'n ahead/thelastmile.
(Tuesday Northbridge & Sunday Leederville.)”


Our response:

Dear …...

Thanks for the email - no bother! We've had some dealings with the Last Mile bunch but we're interested to hear they are actively recruiting in AA meetings. Of course AA as such will express no views on this activity but the groups can and should point out to those involved that this is not what AA meetings are for. Any AA group which affiliates itself with an outside organisation according to our traditions may no longer call itself an AA group. Clearly the people you have been talking to are unaware of this fact or prefer not to face up to it. In the short term your best bet is to go to those AA meetings that are abiding by the traditions and perhaps raise the issue with them and perhaps at your local regional body. It's always a good idea to familiarise yourself with the relevant guidelines before entering into a debate. An alcoholic 'properly armed with the facts' so to speak is in a much better position to communicate their point of view. But as always what must take top priority is your own recovery.

We'll raise some of the points you raise on our website (if that's OK with you) and see if we get any kind of response. At the very least we can make people aware that these groups are breaking AA traditions... something which they would probably not want too widely known

The Fellas”

(our edits)

Comment: This new member raises some pretty valid questions. Can we honestly say that newcomers who place their trust in us are not being let down? Only a few years ago we would have advised anyone approaching AA who believed they had some kind of serious alcohol problem to visit a meeting – any meeting – and see what they thought. We can't say the same today. Instead in all honesty we would feel obliged to advise them that they might like to consider AA as a possible solution but that they should approach the fellowship with some caution for the above reasons (as well as others eg. sexual predation, cult predators etc etc. Do we really want this list to go on …... ad infinitum!)

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

No comments:

Post a Comment