AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Monday 18 July 2016

Whatever happened to Paul ?


A recent email:

I've been following your useful blog and I would like to make some contribution as I agree with your general aims. The “cult” as you describe it, is spreading throughout AA now and causing division, suffering and acrimony wherever it goes. It reminds me of the story in the Big Book about the alcoholic raging through other people's lives like a tornado wreaking havoc, but being oblivious to the harm done to others in the process. I would like to tell you about my friend “Paul” (for anonymity I will not use his real name), who attended AA meetings a number of years ago. Apart from being an addict and alcoholic, he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. To help him control and cope with this condition he needed to take anti-psychotic medication and other treatments. He attended AA meetings in Surrey, I think these were in or near Hampton-Kingston area. He rang me up one day in great distress saying that his AA sponsor had told him he must come off all medication or he could not work the AA 12 step program, and he would be cold-shouldered by people at his home group. I don't know the name of his sponsor, but I do know that he was not a qualified Doctor. I think he was an actor. Anyway, Paul was convinced he needed to come off his medications in order to get sober. I tried to point out to him that this advice was not in accord with AA guidelines and was very dangerous. But the trouble was I was the only voice telling him this. He was attending a meeting where every single person was saying the same thing this sponsor was saying and he was convinced they must be right because of strength of numbers. He was also advised to follow a non AA website which promoted the same message. It seemed to me that he was attending a cult meeting as there was no room for dissent, it was all group speak dictated by this sponsor who's only qualifications were to act, or sell cars, or whatever it was he did for a living. Paul came off his medications and a few days later was sectioned into a mental hospital. Although Paul was a man in his 30's his parents took responsibility for him and gave him a new phone and changed his number, and he was told to avoid AA by his family. His family became very anti-AA. They moved him to stay with relatives in another part of the country to keep him away from that sponsor and the endless phone calls from cult followers telling him not to be “selfish” and do what his sponsor said, and have a life beyond all dreams... a false promise if ever there was given the particulars and circumstances. I lost touch with him after that.. I often wonder what happened to him. I hope he is well. This episode highlights the need for AA members to follow the Traditions and guidelines of AA which state quite clearly that no AA member should be playing Doctor. And even if a person is a Doctor, they should not be practising their profession within AA as AA should be forever non-professional. By the way, I have known AA members who have to take anti-psychotic medication and they can stay sober for many years and lead productive lives. So the cult doctrine about medication is untrue in my experience. And if people with serious mental problems are told they cannot get sober in AA because they have to stop taking their medications then these groups are effectively discriminating against the mentally ill. It brings AA into disrepute and into conflict with medicine, society and basic human rights. I think these cult meetings live in a bubble of their own delusions and self-justifications, and are incapable of seeing themselves as others see them. Just like the tornado alcoholic in the Big Book. It is like a criminal mindset, where the ends justify the means no matter what harm is done to others. Such a tragedy AA is heading in that direction. Regards L.”

Comment: Couldn't agree more!

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS Our thanks to our correspondent

4 comments:

  1. "Rocketed into a fourth dimension". Except that Bill W. didnt stay there. Instead he went on to have many years of depression. It probably would have helped him to have had effective anti-depression medications. It's time to demythogize AA and see it as something which is useful for some in stopping drinking but not a cure all for all life's problems.including often organically based mental ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely man Bill W was! I know he did suffer from clinical depression after he wrote our Big Book. Poor soul. Bless him. But, you know, recovery is a journey, not a destination We each have our own individual journey in our drinking, and also in our recovery too. That makes perfect sense to me. Sometimes I have mountains to climb. Other times the way seems smooth and easy and I feel just like a happy child. I try to be strong in faith and stay sober no matter what life brings. I was never promised anything more than a sober day. “Just for today” my old sponsor used to say. She wasn't one of these modern, newfangled complicated sponsors. She kept the AA program nice and simple. Goodness gracious my drinking was bad and complicated enough. Anything is better than that old story! Have a lovely sober day all readers.

      Delete
    2. What a lovely man Bill W was! I know he did suffer from clinical depression after he wrote the Big Book. Poor soul. But, you know, recovery is a journey, not a destination We each have our own individual journey in our drinking, and in our recovery too. Sometimes I have life's mountains to climb. Other times my way is smooth and easy and I am like a happy child. I try to be strong in faith and stay sober no matter what life brings. I was never promised anything more than a sober day. “Just for today” my old sponsor used to say. She wasn't one of these modern, newfangled, complicated sponsors with lots of rules. She kept the program nice and simple. Goodness gracious my drinking was bad and complicated enough! And anything is better than that story. Have a lovely sober day all readers.

      Delete
  2. Oh the poor dear. I do hope he is alive and well. And what a good friend you are to think of him still. Indeed we must take good care to follow the right and proper AA way, and not just follow something someone made up. There is far too much self-will in AA these days.

    ReplyDelete