AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Monday 1 August 2016

Excuses... excuses!


Looking for an excuse to go back on the sauce? Here are 12 real life feeble excuses some alcoholics have made for jumping off the wagon.

1. I missed the bus.

2. It was raining and I just got bored..

3. It was too hot and sunny and I got thirsty.

4. It was freezing cold and I reckoned a few shorts would warm me up.

5. I was so sad after my cat died, I needed some southern comfort.

6. I was so happy with my cute new puppy, I just had to celebrate.

7. My football team lost.

8. My football team won.

9. I was doing the 6 Daily Suggestions card, but I only rang one newcomer instead of 2, so I drank. (Yes, believe it or not, someone has actually used that as an excuse!)

10. I did my Step Four the wrong way with the wrong sponsor. Instead of referring to a list of 14 defects of character I was given a list of 15, and therefore I drank. (We kid you not!)

11. I read an aacultwatch article and they forced me to drink. (Best excuse of all, BSE - Blame Someone Else – because it's always someone else's fault.)

12. Make the next one up yourself. As you can see from the above, any laughable old tosh will do.

Yes, excuses, excuses. Alcoholics have come up with some epic yarns for getting sloshed. And there are many more where they came from. And remember, they are always “justified”, aren't they!

P.S. “Going to any lengths” means you don't drink no matter what. Capisce?

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS Thanks to our contributor

3 comments:

  1. I don't ever do the "6 things" suggestion card (because it's not AA literature, and never will be); and I've just read this aacultwatch article. Does that mean I will now be "forced” to drink? No, not at all. Why? Because I have step one, one day at a time. I was told to stay sober whatever happens in my life. Mad King Alcohol beat my ass enough to accept step one fully. As you say, NO excuses. People who make those excuses for drinking are still in the illness and are liars to themselves, and liars to the newcomer. People who want to stay sober without any reservation - who have step one - don't need excuses and don't make excuses. Step one - the most important step of all. Get it, or die drinking. Your daily choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “I drank because I read an article online.” So that's what the joys/roadie's strong “superior” sobriety sounds like. Pathetic. And they think they are better and more sober than everyone else. Next they will be telling us they drank because they read something in The Sun or the Daily Mail. Thumbs down for the weakest bullshit Ive seen this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are a few quotes from the AA literature which I feel are relevant here. I have deliberately used the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions AA book (12x12) because I know how much the cult love admire and appreciate that tome :)

    “We thought "conditions" drove us to drink, and when we tried to correct these conditions and found that we couldn't to our entire satisfaction, our drinking went out of hand” (12x12 chapter on Step 4)

    “It never occurred to us that we needed to change ourselves to meet conditions, whatever they were”. (12x12 chapter on Step 4)

    “Then comes the acid test: can we stay sober, keep in emotional balance, and live to good purpose under all conditions?” (12x12 chapter on Step 10)

    The answer to that last question is clearly “no”, if you have been given the cult version of recovery. Harmic (above commentator) is correct. The mainstream AA practice of Step 1 (understood as the spirituality of acceptance) will make your recovery more robust. Not a weak quick-fix cult solution which is wholly dependant upon rules, rituals, sponsors and personalities, - but a stronger more balanced and personal recovery which is purely Higher Power reliant, person-centred, and therefore more deep, secure, tenacious and liberating in the long term.

    ReplyDelete