AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Friday 20 May 2011

The cult "network": Richmond, Ealing, Hampton Wick.....

"Dear aacultwatch,

Having read your information on what determines a 'cult' meeting, I have to say that the Tuesday evening meeting in Richmond [Richmond: How it Works Tuesday 20.00 Unitarian Church, Ormond Rd] is a bit of an odd one. I, personally, would not label it as a 'cult' group, but there does seem to be a 'group within a group' at that particular meeting that practises some 'cult-like' behaviour.

I have been around since 1989 and this meeting has been going for over 10 years. I used to attend regularly but then my attendance became more sporadic until I moved away from the area for a few years. I moved back to West London a year ago and the meeting is now very different. I still see many of the old faces, and most of these people I believe genuinely care about the newcomer and want what's best for them, but as for this 'core group', the ideal is you can't get well unless you have a sponsor, and suddenly it's all-too-obvious what's going on here. The 'core group' seems to be led by an individual (who I believe is a salesman by trade) and appears to have many sponsees who are all given the 'Six Suggestions' and I have heard of a couple of people (who weren't even sponsees of his) being almost 'shouted-down' by this man if they don't do every single item on the list, even if they don't call a newcomer that day. This sort of stuff is incredibly dangerous and off-putting for newcomers. My observation is that this 'core group' (and many of its newer members, such as the young female secretary) are heavily influenced by the nearby 'Ealing gang' (need I say more?). Before I moved away the aforementioned individual was the secretary and all his invited speakers came from Rochester/Strood, and the Tottenham area, plus a couple of people I recognised from 'A Vision for You' when I attended there. I know this website pertains to Alcoholics Anonymous, but an almost identical cult within Cocaine Anonymous has sprung up in the same area and has the same ideals, and it is believed that the 'ringleader' was at one time sponsored within this group.

You also mentioned the Friday meetings in Hampton Wick, and maybe it's worth mentioning that the same people go to this meeting as well. Again, same drill - the majority of those in attendance are working a good program and simply try to help the newcomer. But, quite worryingly, this meeting has some influence from a member from Plymouth (you know what I mean by that, I'm sure - from what I understand she relocated from Plymouth to the area, and no doubt she was told which meetings to go to!), who sponsors most of the women who attend the meeting. I can't help but wonder what kind of message gets carried - although I have heard her sponsees say "I've got to 'phone newcomers" and "I have to call my sponsor".

Once again, these two groups are undermined by the minority of its membership, but I've read on your website about the agenda the 'cult' groups follow (such as the 'politically-approved message' and 'sponsor dependence') and these meetings both spring to mind. Fortunately they don't seem interested on subverting intergroup (as I attend regularly and there has been nothing striking).

I hope this is useful for you. Feel free to publish any of it. I can be emailed for more information.

Regards,

.... [name omitted]"


(Our thanks to this contributor)

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

No comments:

Post a Comment