AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Monday 9 July 2012

Behind the façade........



Hello again,

Yes I know, another email! I'm sorry but I haven't been able to stop reading your website today. I've been in AA for over 6 years now and have experienced many of the groups discussed in your blog. From the Westway meetings, to Plymouth, to Vision for you (my sponsor originates from them) to the Pacific Group.... I've been reading as much as I can. …...

Last year I was teetering on my breakdown and my home group was becoming more and more of a chore to attend. All the old crap about keeping your emotions and problems out of meetings still haunted me. I felt like a failure for feeling this way. I had embarked on the first proper relationship in my life and the consequences of not knowing how to relate in one became apparent very quickly. I had no-one to turn to. I didn't want to share in meetings about it, I didn't want to talk to anyone about it, I trusted no-one. I kept this charade going. Pretending I was dealing with it... the thing is, I’ve been doing that ever since I came into AA. It started in the Road to Recovery meetings.

Those meetings have hindered so much of my development. Thank god I found my partner and a very responsible and trustworthy therapist. Both him and her have given me a real life not a pretend fantasy life. It's that old cliché of - if you think it's so, then it will be it. What a load of crap. Magical thinking eh. Not being able to cope with pain was the bedrock of my recovery and the backbone of the R2R Groups... What I mean by that is the R2R meetings were obsessed with good upbeat stories, lots of smiles, lots of happiness, great chairs, sparkly eyes, laughter, jokes...what they despised was reality, problems, thoughts of suicide, drinking again, relapsing, money worries, REAL LIFE ISSUES!! I got used to this. I liked it so much. My life had been full of devastation and depression. So when I entered these meetings it was only natural that I would fall under their alluring spell. In the end the spell began to wear off. I didn't fully wake up though... no, that happened last year.

My partner used to be an investigative journalist and when we first got together he challenged my thinking more than anyone had ever done. I was living in a protective bubble fooling myself that I was living or even happy. I was focusing on helping so many people and I put myself always to the back of the queue. I was out 5 nights a week around London meeting this person and that person. Then at the weekend I was so exhausted that I would sleep from Friday to Sunday night before I had to start it all over again. Working 40 hours a week also. It was ridiculous... something had to give and it was me. I was signed off work last year and started the hard and painful task of facing up to real life. I'd been putting it off for years.

I probably wasn't ready to read your blog then, but now I’ve got some sort of life now which has meant I’ve been re-evaluating my relationship with AA. What it means, where I go next, what's the road ahead? It's tough actually. I still have those old tapes running around my head. Even in my meeting I felt emotionally blackmailed into being the 'perfect' AA'er! Members would regularly say that they thought it was disgusting when they found out people didn't do 12 stepping calls. Or how effing rude it was if people didn't shake people's hands or make an effort to talk. I found this judgement particularly hard to swallow. I wanted to shout at this person (many decades sober too!) to say, "what if that man/women had lost their family today?? And all they needed was somewhere to feel safe so they didn't drink?" The bull that I heard in a lot of meetings really got to me.

It felt more like a pub than a meeting. People joking with each other whilst others shared. Silly giggling and snide remarks. I would watch the expressions of newcomers and visitors. Some looked dumbfounded. They didn't know whether to laugh or walk out. The people with mental illnesses were also looked down upon. Tutting or general rudeness if they disrupted the meeting somehow. Allowing people to be verbally violent and aggressive in meetings and finding it funny was typical. But love and compassion for someone who was obviously very sick was lacking. I couldn't stomach it any more. Funny enough not one person from that meeting ever checked to see how I was doing. I was one of the so called 'star' group members. Not that I wanted that accolade. So when I went off even sicker at …...... I heard nought, nothing, nada! Fellowship my arse... the obsessive reminders of the need to be part of a 'fellowship' is only ever on the group's or individual's terms.

I've had a mish-mash of experiences since I came into AA. Not all of them bad and not all of them good. The jury is still out on my future in AA. I still check in with some of the most vulnerable AA'ers and some of my old sponsees. I just like to say I’m thinking of them now and again so they know someone in the world is. Personally my health and …... are my priorities right now. I've been incredibly absorbed in doing life how others told me to do it. I'm interested finally in finding my path and my way of life. I don't care any more if it doesn't 'satisfy' the elders. I haven't turned my back on AA but I certainly won't be pushed into something I haven't considered.

What is the future of AA? The cults have infiltrated so much the last 20 years with little apprehension. It's disturbing to think that the problem has been left to fester like Japanese knot weed. And if you have any experience with this weed you'll know that it slowly takes over things and kills it without so much as a hello or goodbye. And it's next to near impossible to destroy. I never knew what the word Cult really meant, I always assumed it was of an extreme murderous nature. But then when I’ve watched how innocuous and subtle certain personalities can be and what devastation they leave I’m under no illusion that the Westway, Ealing, Greenwich, Plymouth, Bristol and the notorious Pacific Groups are all poison.

Will York or New York Head Quarters do anything? Can they do anything? It's scary to think that our most vulnerable individuals in society are out there being abused and used as we speak and no-one is doing enough to help them.

Keep up the great work, all the best …..”

(our edits)

Our response:


"Hi....

Again thanks for the emails. …........ And thank you for the Share extracts. We were aware that Happy Dennis is a frequent if somewhat saccharine contributor to them (as well as the Plymouth gang etc) [so much so that perhaps Share magazine should be renamed the Plymouth Road to Recovery Echo!]. Lastly we are always happy to receive information about people's experiences of the cult groups. It serves, in some instances, a cathartic function when you know who you are communicating with has been through the same sort of stuff. A lot of AA members still don't grasp the implications of what these people are up to – but we're getting there!

Your experiences are by no means unusual for those who have had prolonged exposure to the cult meetings. The subtle - and sometimes not so subtle - manipulation does become very wearying after a while. And they are fundamentally dishonest 'showcases' for recovery without any corresponding depth or breadth of message. It is vitally important that people attending AA meetings feel they can be honest about what is going on in their lives – good, bad or indifferent. AA should be a liberating experience for everyone and yet in the cult meetings this is the last consideration. A script has been written for you and you'd better not ad lib it – or else! As for the future ….... that's really in our hands. Either we take responsibility for our conduct – individually and collectively – or AA will simply fall apart. For our part we're pretty optimistic although we think it's going to be a bit of haul getting there. We look forward to hearing from you in the future........”

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

(our usual thanks to our correspondent)