AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Monday 28 January 2013

aacultwatch forum daily reflections


Extracts from our forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/aacultwatch under thread: “aacultwatch forum daily reflections”


Ebby had told his story simply, without a hint of evangelism. Although Bill continued to drink, Ebby’s visit caused something to change inside him." (Pass It On page 115)

I saw that my friend was much more than inwardly organised. He was on a different footing… … …The word God still aroused some antipathy. When the thought was expressed that there might be a God personal to me this feeling intensified. I didn’t like the idea. I could go for such conceptions as Creative Intelligence, Universal Mind or Spirit of Nature but I resisted the idea of a Czar of the Heavens… … My friend suggested what then seemed a novel idea “Why don’t you choose your own concept of God?” – Bill W. (Alcoholics Anonymous “Big Book” page 12)

"A few days later, Ebby returned, and he brought Shep C with him. Shep, an active Oxford Group member, delivered himself a forthright message - as Bill put it: ‘He gave me the Oxford Group boast, aggressively and with all the punch he could pack. I didn’t like it at all. When they were gone, I took to the bottle and really punished it.’ ” (Pass It On page 116)

Thank God for that. And I never pushed A.A. on anyone. Dr. Bob used to always say to me ‘Madeline, whatever you do, whoever you talk to, don’t push’…… ‘Don’t push. Just tell them that you found yourself in A.A. and how grateful you are and how things have changed. Talk about yourself. Then tell them If you need help, want help, Join A.A.” – Madeline V. ( Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers page 284)

1939

Early in 1939, Jack D. one of Bill Wilson’s New York pigeons, who had sobered up and gone home to Cleveland, and went to Youngstown to see an old buddy. This was Norman Y., who was totally blind from bootleg liquor and had lost his wife, family, and job. 'I was living in the basement of an apartment building, and had a mattress on the floor.' Norman said in 1977, ' I knew I was a alcoholic, but it took two hours before Jack could get me to admit I was powerless over alcohol... ... ... They talked a little bit about the Oxford Group, a little bit about Dr. Bob and Bill. They were using the Lord's Prayer... ... ... .... ... They all had jobs.' Norman said. 'Later one of the men came up to me and said, 'Let me tell you something, you blind old bat. You got no more intention of staying sober than the man on the moon. The only reason you come here is to get acquainted with these people so that you can beg. The thing for you to do is stay the hell away.' ' That was my first A.A. meeting. I went back to that mattress and I lay down and said, 'I'm gonna get drunk and go out and kill that bastard. I'll kill his wife, then kill him. No I wont. I'll kill the whole damn A.A.'... ... ...... ... ....'Then something said to me, 'You go, and go there regular. And don't take any material help from any of them'... ... In fact, when Norman finally got a job, in 1940, helping other blind people, he started to put aside ten percent of his salary to pay for speaking trips, contributions at meetings, and other A.A. expenses." (Dr. Bob and The Good Old Timers page 182-183)

Yet another minority was the handicapped. Norman Y., the blind A.A., had the Big Book done in Braille in 1940 and sent out from the Cleveland Library to other blind members,'There were 19 of us corresponding back then,' he said. The odd thing is, Norman never read the book himself. ‘I never read a word in A.A.’ he said. ‘You don’t have to read. You don’t have to have all these pamphlets they put out. You can learn to live this program by learning to think. A.A. is a wonderful thing to know and apply.’ he said, ‘- but in your life. You’ve got to live it out in the street. You see somebody having a little problem, help them, no matter who they are. That’s A.A.” – Norman Y. (Dr. Bob and The Good Old Timers page 249-250)”


The Oxford Groupers had clearly shown us what to do. And, just as importantly, we had learned from them what not to do as far as alcoholics were concerned. We had found that certain of their ideas and attitudes could not be sold to alcoholics. For example, drinkers would not take pressure in any form, excepting from John Barleycorn himself. They always had to be led, not pushed. They would not stand for the rather aggressive evangelism of the Oxford Groups. And they would not accept the principle of ‘team guidance’ for their own personal lives.” (A.A. Comes of Age page 74)

"Neither Dr. Bob nor Sister Ignatia ever recorded the exact time they started treating alcoholics at St. Thomas Hospital." (Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers page 185)

Bob and Sister Ignatia began to work more and more closely through the fall of 1939 in getting drunks into St. Thomas for treatment. One thing worried her, however: Alcoholics Anonymous seemed closely connected with the Oxford Group. ‘At the time, I feared we might become involved with a religious sect of some kind,’ Sister Ignatia recalled. She then asked Father Vincent Haas, a newly ordained priest, to investigate the meetings for her… … … Fortunately, the group had moved to Kings School by this time, and father Haas was favorably impressed.” (Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers” page 189)

On the second day of the New Year, 1940, Dr. Bob wrote Bill: ‘Have finally shaken off the shackles of the Oxford Group.’" (a choice of words indicates his attitude then) (Dr. Bob and The Good Old Timers page 218)”

(Our emphases) 

Cheerio

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)