AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Thursday 2 January 2014

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a Cult? (contd)


See here for original blog entry
Under Readers' comments. We quote:
AA Grapevine - Guy - Oct 13th 2009

One only needs to read the Grapevine to see and feel that independent thought is accepted and that the unpopular view is there and is valued. Grab a handful of them and scan the articles and see for yourself. Some of the topics in here are also explored in this publication. Now what your home group is doing can be a different matter. If you don't like the way you see AA being applied in the group you attend start your own group. There is some self acclaimed AA Gurus in my Home Group. I call them 'the prescribers' as they always share in a way that says your program is not the program and I have it and you better get it or else. These people assume you need the book interpreted for you, they report on there sponsees progress and during there 'shares keep the focus off themselves or saying anything about there problems because they can't allow anyone to view them as anything but PERFECT AA. Bill W. also addresses a this attitude in THE BEST OF BILL. So I went to the Group Conscience and got approval to have a Grapevine meeting once a week. None of the Gurus come to it, I am happy.”

AA supervised by professionals - Mary - Oct 12th 2009

.... said that he felt AA should be supervised by professionals, but as a 17 year sober member of the fellowship it would scare me that the "professionals" chosen would inevitably be the same kind of power-driven AAers that seem to go into the treatment field. I actually agree with the folks that point out that abuse occurs, especially within the sponsor/sponcee relationship; but my fear is that a "moderated" AA would be no different from the treatment center I lived in for 10 months when I was newly sober, homeless, and almost without hope. The place was bordering on a cult, because I couldn't leave due to circumstances, we were controlled completely (I was even grilled because I enjoyed the Fantasy and Sci Fi genra in books, accused of wanting to live in a fantasy world) and we were ruled by fear of the two ladies in charge using things we said in our therapy sessions against us in community to humiliate us into compliance. I never want to be in a situation like that again. I am fortunate, I have a sponsor who is not controlling, I could not have survived much more hard control after what I went through prior to sobriety. Other people seem to seek out very controlling people to dictate their life and put them down because they are told that is what AA has to be. It is not what AA has to be, but we have a very bad paradigm that takes over and spreads through treatment centers and via the disgusting circuit speaker worshipping that goes on. I am an AA member who sees some of the problems being discussed here and I strive to not be a part of those problems, and I don't attend meetings that are a part of those problems.

I do support AA because it offered me a freedom in sobriety that I didn't have in that treatment center for 10 months, I can share with other people and grow without the fear and control. I support my home group and some other groups, and sponsor a couple of women (people who want a dictator usually don't want me as a sponsor) but I honestly do wish AA would do its own inventory. I don't see attending my kindly home group as something to be ashamed of, something that makes me some kind of freak that doesn't know how to live. People attend all kinds of social groups, there is no shame because this one is AA. I think that is the worst thing that pops up in this discussion, that if someone chooses to have AA and AA people as a part of their life that it makes them less of a person than someone who doesn't. We may need a little bit of middle ground. “

(our edits)
Cheers
The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)
PS To use “comment” system simply click on “Comments” tab below this article and sign in. All comments go through a moderation stage

No comments:

Post a Comment