AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a Cult? (contd)


See here for original blog entry
Under Readers' comments. We quote:
An outsider looking in - david - Jul 1st 2009

A response to: a solution (from June 29): AA is careful to avoids claims of exclusivity by saying that it offers a solution and not "the" solution. The AA Big Book is careful to emphasize this important point: however, in the smaller meetings between a few people, in sponsor to sponsee conversations, in the gatherings at Starbucks or Panera after a meeting, and over the phone in private conversations, the principle is set aside. In these moments, away from the larger meetings, my clients were told (and I heard when I was invited to these small gatherings) that if they quit their Lithium or Depakote, if they stopped their Lexapro, Abilify or Resperidone, and worked harder by attending more meetings and working more steps, their problems would subside, The result of this advice was higher relapse rates for my clients, and increased hospitalizations.

Seeking help from outside sources is encouraged and is common. Again, another principal occasionally voiced within meetings but disregarded outside the meeting. In numerous meetings I attended and those attended by my clients-- the medical community, therapy, and other forms of “rehab” such as Smart Recovery, were quickly dispensed with in one or two sentences as the group would reemphasize the primacy of AA as the solution for a “spiritual disease”.

You can't be kicked out of AA for blasphemy or heresy - or, for that matter, for not doing the steps or not having a sponsor. Outspoken atheists are tolerated and welcomed. The operative term here is “tolerated” which would indicate that one is put up with, endured, stomached and suffered through. In meetings, members who were atheists, those who did not have a sponsor, and those who were repeat relapsers, were allowed, frequently welcomed and oftentimes tolerated: outside of meetings, many were shunned, ostracized and the repeat relapser was frequently overlooked. In one meeting for example, a woman who had relapsed several times, was not allowed to speak as the group went around- she was openly told to sit down and listen. She sat in the back quietly crying the entire hour. After the meeting, she remained seated for another 15-20 minutes as the group slowly dispersed: no one attempted to comfort or offer support. She walked away quietly once the room was fairly empty, went outside and waited for support from her “AA family,” of many years—none came. She got in her car and went home alone.

This is the main difference between AA and cults and religions. The general criticsims of AA would apply to any other support group. It would be naive to think LifeRing, or any other group with often vulnerable and unstable populations - are safe havens free to a much greater degrees of predators. This is a red herring statement--- a diversion from the issue at hand, which is the unequivocal contrast between what is promoted and what is daily practice in AA. In addition, comparing AA to another group to give explanation for its actions does not release AA from how it behaves as a group. It is also known as irrelevant conclusion or irrelevant thesis in that while the argument “might” be valid, it does not address the issues raised here.

Overall, this defense of AA is a reminder of George Orwell’s book, Nineteen Eighty-Four, where shades of meaning were removed and a new language, termed Newspeak, (e.g., that’s stinkin thinking; the farther you are from your last drink, the closer you are to your next one; don't drink, don't think and go to meetings; A. A. is the last stop on the train; I came, I came, I came to believe; if you leave you’ll surely die; surrender to become victorious) was created as a way to reinforce the dominance of the group over self regulation, self assessment, self reliance and self empowerment. Thoughts, language that did not fit Newspeak, the spotting of dichotomies between AA “doctrine” and reality, and other deviations in speech and thought, were quickly removed from the vocabulary of the people. Eventually, what remained was a staccato rhythm or very short syllables (i.e., sayings and phrases) designed to reduce the need for deep thought or analysis. Thinking outside of Newspeak became a “thought crime or “crime think” and anyone engaged in thought-crime was viewed as Dead (Your best thinking got you here; Don’t think, just feel; Don’t question those with greater sobriety).

In this Orwellian world, there was a Ministry of Truth and Thought Police, and those who spoke in Old Speak and thought in Old Speak……………..”
Cheers
The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)
PS To use “comment” system simply click on “Comments” tab below this article and sign in. All comments go through a moderation stage

3 comments:

  1. Emm...sound very much like the Author here has encountered the Cult elements of AA and not mainstream as I have personally witnessed exactly this behaviour in cult meetings and was told by my first "sponsor" that I couldn't start the steps if i was on medication(solid alcohol)...I was also told to NEVER question my sponsor...luckily i found out in mainstream aa that this is all cobblers...i also found out that i'm required to think and act for myself but whatever i get up to is my responsiblity..fine by me!!...Sadly though the above article highlights the danger that aa is facing..if it doesn't deal with the cults aa is doomed to fade into an obscure treatment for religious people!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very complex situation that does not lend itself well to discussion. Each "side" tends to hear what it wants to hear. I have never heard anyone advise a mentally ill person to go off their drugs. However, I also have seen very few professionals re-enforce the fact that the drugs are only a safety net to allow the patient to do some very hard work to resolve their inner conflicts that have caused them to suffer from depression or other mood disorders. Quite frankly, the professional community frequently falls into the behavior they are accusing AA of...that we think we are the be all and "only solution" in the US Prozac and all its cousins are prescribed by general practitioners with no follow up other than "oh by the way how have you been lately" while get your cold treated next visit. A close friend of mine has gone to virtually every Psychiatrist in town (10 total) and I have attended some of these sessions and never have I heard them say the fact that the drug is prescribed as only one part of the solution. They just keep prescribing more drugs. Others who have gotten on the drug train have said that the drugs actually removed feelings to the point that they had no internal pain that would spur them on to action that would aid in their recovery. So then AA's when discussing drug issues with their friends after the meeting may be drawn into a discussion that may include sharing experience strength and hope that includes that we need to work the steps in conjunction with the meds and this gets taken as a rebuttal of the drugs. At times like this it would be helpful if the medical community coupled their criticism with some ownership that they are not following their own protocol by advising their patients that the drugs are not miracle cures but are only a start and that perhaps if they are going to take the drugs they should use the boost in mood to aid in doing the steps. Finally, the medical profession should recognize that they are not making the kind of partners they want in AA when the are also prescribing drugs out of ignorance (Xanax, valium and the like) that current professional opinion has proven to be addictive and not successful in helping people to recover. When we have to tell sponsees that it is their responsibility to protect themselves from quacks that do harm it opens us up to claims that we are giving advice that we are not qualified to give.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fellas, I regularly attend a meeting on Thursday nights called "Acton Into Action" in the WTF. This meeting usurped a regular meeting that
    had been going for about 20+ years and was from the start what I call a "Joy Boy" "Jump For Joy" meeting, where everything is related to the sponsor, anyway
    I started attending about 2 years ago as it seemed more like a 'normal' AA mtg.
    When I attended last Thursday I felt a different 'vibe' about the place, the furniture had been moved, but that wasn't it. At the end of the meeting a woman I've known for about 4 years or so asked me "Do you have a sponsor" to which I replied truthfully "No", she then asked me if
    I had been through the steps, I said I had been taken through them to step 9, then my "friend" as he asked me to call him had to move abroad
    because of his job. To my mind a "Sponsor/Mentor/Guide or friend who helps me through the steps is someone who helps you to be as honest
    and fearless in searching out our resentments and defects of character. Then helps you in deciding how to make your amends as best you
    can. I could have done with a bit more help with Step 9 but I did the best I could at the time, it's never finished anyway I don't think.
    Regarding the meeting I got the distinct impression that if I didn't get a sponsor soon then I would be made to feel unwelcome (this is all my
    interpretation from body language, choice of words and eye contact,so I could well be wrong).
    I also noticed attending the meeting for the past 2 weeks is a woman I remember from the "Visions" meeting at St. Peter's Crypt, Victoria, London
    about 10 years ago, anyway I know she has an agenda but I can still have a conversation with her, but in the past month or so I have heard the
    word sponsor at this meeting and another in Chiswick about 50 times maybe more. It seems like people have to ask their 'sponsor' what kind
    /colour of clothes they should be wearing to help their sobriety and to only go to meetings that their sponsor allows. I hope I'm wrong about this
    meeting and will continue to attend, if only to see where it's heading.
    JP
    P.S. I have been told by a few older members that the only step where you need someone else to complete the 12 steps is Step 5 as you have to share it with somebody, but like most people I chose my 'Sponsor' to hear my step 5

    ReplyDelete