AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Monday 9 January 2012

Cult dependency – How it DOESN'T Work!


Hi ….....,

Thanks for your post mate, you have a good point. I will try to answer you as best I can.

There is a saying "The Truth will set you free". I certainly think this applies to cult involvement. The Truth is the one thing the Cult does not want to face. For example, in the Vision/Joys cult, the fact that the founder of the Cult movement in AA in this country, David B, didn’t have a sponsor, and repeatedly lied about this in his sharing right until his death. "I’m sober 22 years because I always do everything my sponsor says" he would to say to the newcomer. Well, yes, when you sponsor yourself I guess you do everything your sponsor says! lol. He used this confidence trick to lure and manipulate others into doing everything HE said. Thus the whole cult practice of sponsor-control is based upon a lie. Once you know this one fact alone, the entire Cult experience changes. At least it did for me. Self-evidently, a program founded upon a lie cannot be “spiritual”. What I encountered at Vision/Joys was psychological manipulation and bullying, not spirituality. That is a tough truth to face up to, partly because it affects my pride. "How can I have been so dumb as to fall for it" and “what a waste of my time, energy and good will”, were the questions that often went on in my mind at that time. However I learned through the study of Cults and their characteristics, and through the stories of others who had been involved in cults, that I was not alone.

Rather like alcohol or drug use, cult involvement satisfied a “need” or “emptiness” within me. It gave me a sense of euphoria (that is, “feeling good” via group approval, provided of course I followed the highly demanding cult script) and security (being part of a seemingly protective gang).

Human beings need to feel secure and feel good, especially if we are vulnerable, depressive, addicted, or have had poor or insecure upbringings. This is why a lot of disaffected young people join gangs, and is also, by the way, why a lot of younger people tend to be attracted to the cults/gangs within AA (you must have wondered why cult meetings tend to be dominated by young people and young men in particular?). However when these natural needs for security/belonging/self-worth etc become focused upon people, places and material things, then they are founded upon straw. The program of AA is a spiritual program, not a cult program. It suggests to us, simply, that what we should try to do is place an unreserved faith and trust in a Higher Power of our own understanding, not a human power, or thing. This is why reliance on groups and personalities is not spiritual at all, but psychological dependence, sometimes called co-dependency.

How can I really and inwardly be “happy joyous and free” – if my life is dependent upon the approval of a group, or a sponsor, or some other human agency? The kind of “happiness/freedom” - that a group gives me - is a fragile illusion, and is entirely fear driven. How can I be truly free if my every action has to be “permitted” by a sponsor, rather than my own conscience and faith in a Higher Power?

No, the only approval I need is from honestly consulting my own conscience. It also helps to have and develop a faith and trust in a loving Higher Power of my understanding, and a willingness to practice spiritual principles (honesty, truth, humility, patience, tolerance, love etc) in my life. These themes are repeated again and again in the Big Book and the other AA literature dealing with the steps and program of AA. AA gives me the true freedom of being able to choose my own Path in this regard. AA is not about co-dependency on a sponsor/personality/group/whatever, but reliance on a Higher Power which is, as the Big Book puts it, goodness and love. Don’t just take my word for it. Read the Book, it’s all there!

One of the sad things about cult involvement, in my experience, is that is obstructs my developing a real relationship with my own Higher Power. In cults, the Higher Power is always trumped by “sponsor” approval. Therefore, during my cult involvement, I became a slave of a man (sponsor), rather than a free child of the God my own understanding.

The Truth will set you free…..” This is why I am currently going through David C Icons website, exposing it piece by piece, because it is full of distortions and deviations from the AA program. Although David C Icons talks glibly about “trusting a sponsor before his Higher Power”, his pride just can’t come to terms with the fact that his guru - the sponsorless David B – was an arrogant liar who was NOT to be trusted. So the advice given in the website is hypocrisy. All the other distortions and twists follow on from that.

Thanks for your stimulating post …...”.

(extract from aacultwatch forum - with permission)

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)