AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Monday 27 May 2013

Goodmayes 'Altered Attitudes' no more......


Morning Fellas

Been keeping an eye on the site as always, as always plenty of food for thought and to get the grey matter working.

Back when the site first started there were a few articles written about characters involved with the Goodmayes, Altered Attitudes group – which used to be at 8pm on a Tuesday evening, Goodmayes Lane. This meeting made it onto the Cult Where to Find, and from what I can see still remains there. Based on recent information I have from AA members in the vicinity – it has now closed down after a period of great decline and a fall in numbers and regular members.

My view (and I speak for no one else) is that the group caused a bit of conflict with other meetings in the vicinity as well. There seemed to be no love lost between the founders of Goodmayes and those who felt like they had been chewed up and spat out by the group back in the day who left to start other meetings (which went on to flourish). There was the usual talk of issues and advise being given out about medication, and also taking orders from self- appointed Guru’s who didn’t have sponsors themselves. In my mind this almost created a ‘them & us’ divide in the local area between meetings. Sometimes there would be an undercurrent of friction and resentment when they attended meetings outside of their own little circuit. Sharing would be uniform, and sometimes felt like the way they did things was the way it should be done, and everyone else happened to be doing it incorrectly. One thing I did notice is that the group always turned up in numbers to support one another – I have to say I admired their unity and it’s not something I happen upon too often in AA these days. One or two individuals really spoke arrogantly about how ‘we do this’ and ‘my sponsor said this’ (however this is not exclusive to that group)

Many people I knew in other meetings around that area had been, or tried to be part of the Goodmayes meeting but felt they had been mistreated, misunderstood, poorly advised and invariably ended up leaving either completely, or joining the masses in mainstream AA around Romford / Barking / Dagenham.

I recall one incident where someone I knew personally who was suffering with another mental illness was advised to stop taking the medication as they couldn’t get contact with their higher power and were not technically sober. They were denied the chance to go through the steps and were told they couldn’t be helped unless they were off all medication. It makes me shudder to think of people giving out that advice – and what could have happened to that person had they not been picked up and helped by main stream groups in that area. Though I don’t agree with abrasiveness of the updates about this group in the Essex Area section from a few years ago, I can totally understand why they would say these things and why people were so angry based on the above – I would be hard pressed not to be angry if I had been treated that way.

I have it on good authority that two of the founding members who were at the top of the pile walked away out of the blue from that meeting some time back now. There has been much speculation about why – for me unless I hear it from them directly I just put it down to the usual AA gossip. I know that they sponsored many members, who sponsored many members. This is a prime example of Pyramid sponsorship. Having two people effectively control the group and then walk away has now meant that this meeting is no longer open. It went into decline, internal fallouts happened, attendance took a nose dive and it closed down for good.

My understanding was that no one there was sponsored outside of that group, and when that happened, inevitably there was fallout or friction within – sometimes long serving people being outcast and having to join mainstream groups in the area. ‘Outside’ influences did not seem to be welcomed and I get the feeling when they occurred it was seen as a direct challenge to the top. One of the good things about not being part of that is the variety of experience that different people, with different experiences and different sponsors bring. It showed me that there is no one approach at this stuff, no one way is right, that listening to other peoples experience is a good thing even if you don’t have anything in common with them – you can still learn.

There were some bloody nice people in that group, it wasn’t all bad, nor were all of its members singing from the cult ‘hymn sheet’ either, some of them I still think about today even though I haven’t seen them for some time now. Many of them couldn’t quite adjust to the mainstream and from what I hear don’t bother attending meetings any more seeming quite lost. Seems that the fallout from the top sent the pyramid crumbling. This I find upsetting, as AA should be there for everyone who needs help. The positive I took is that some ex members saw what was going on and seemed to join the rest of us on planet earth, and were welcomed in as anyone else would be. I am wary of groups who seem to be doing things ‘the right way’ whatever that is.

I think it is safe to say this meeting should be removed from the Where to Find now. I realise I have only touched the surface of what was happening there as I was never on the ‘inside’ – however there are lessons to be learned from what happened, and the effects on ex-members.”

Comment: The aforementioned meeting no longer appears in the online AA Where to Find. We have amended our own Cult Where to Find accordingly.

The above illustrates the problems arising when groups are run on a 'personality driven' basis. They fall like a pack of cards when the 'big cheese' invariably bites the dust eg goes back on the sauce, 'screws up' …..or to put it another way: all show and no substance

Cheerio

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS Our usual thanks to our correspondent

PPS Updates and general (and specific) information always welcome!