AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Court mandated attendance (CMA) or 'chit' system (contd)


A member from the States writes:

To whom it may concern:

I am [“old timer”] year member of AA. I know my length of sobriety gives me no real status but I provide it to substantiate the fact that my complaints are centered around the changes that have occurred in those years. Unfortunately, one of the changes is also that there is no elder statesmen status afforded long-time members. I live in the ….... area of the United States.

I feel we are dealing with a scourge that poisons all manner of relations within the groups here. I speak of the advent of Court Mandated Attendees (CMA’S). This has lead to many, many other Traditions breaks and to the point that we no longer have a true “Closed” meeting available. What started as a trickle has turned into a flood. We average 50-60% of the people attending meetings being on “court slips”. The courts do not care about the safety of the meetings and therefore the CMA’S do not either. Anonymity has gone out the window! Unity (the central theme in all our Traditions) is non-existent.

So many members know of no other “AA” you can not talk sense to them that the Traditions are being violated every day. I have thought about forming Traditions adhering meetings but fear for the meetings left behind. I fear that this will contribute to much more loss of Unity. My advice to you is never let Court slips become common place in your meetings........”

(our edits –and our emphasis - to preserve anonymity)

See also: D.W.I.’S and Court Slips in AA Meetings. A Report on the Experience of the Maryland Area of Alcoholics Anonymous, Maryland General Service, PO Box 788, Waldorf, MD 20601, February 9, 1987

We would be interested to hear from other AA members with regard to their own experience and/or observations of the CMA ('chit') system (good or bad). We can be contacted at our email address here. Confidentiality assured

Comment: We've been warned!

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS Our thanks to this member for their contribution to the debate