AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a Cult? (contd)


See here for original blog entry
Under Readers' comments
how to protect the vulnerable in AA …....

Unfortunately I think that GSO would be able to beat a Midtown-like lawsuit.There really is too wide a separation between the groups and NY. However I do believe that the hosting facilities (most of which are churches) can be spooked enough to ban groups on a case by case basis, unless such groups show that they have proper guidelines in place to protect the vulnerable. In my mind these guidelines would include:

- A stated group policy concerning admission for parolees, registered sex offenders.

- A stated group policy regarding sponsorship qualifications, background checks.

Think about it. If I as a pastor or facilities manager have opened my doors to a group that does not have such policies in place then I am being negligent in my responsibility to protect visitors to my facility. To me, it’s almost like not adhering to the fire code.

All it will take is one civil lawsuit that links a meeting place to having facilitated abuse by an AA group. Trust me, the hike in insurance premiums will then cause many doors to close to AA.

I’m actually thinking of sending out letters to a number of churches in my area warning them of the potential for abuse within the groups. I bet it will have an impact on making AA more accountable.

....”
Cheers
The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)
PS To use “comment” system simply click on “Comments” tab below this article and sign in. All comments go through a moderation stage

1 comment:

  1. Civil lawsuits have been a great genesis of change. Nothing like costing someone money to get them to re-evaluate their ethics. Even is the cost is for a defense attorney to defend you against a frivolous lawsuit. However, I would caution you against contacting the churches. That action could bring about intended AND unintended consequences that once in motion could be difficult to control. A better action might be to work within the structure of AA to force it to follow all its Traditions.

    ReplyDelete