AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Sunday 22 February 2015

Encounters with the Wimbledon Design for Living (cult) group (Sunday)


Extracts from old aacultwatch forum: 

........ briefly (and on the basis of just one attendance) we were regaled at one point by the local "bleeding deacon" on the evils of medication (contrary to AA guidelines), got a lecture on "pseudo- spirituality" (addressed presumably at all those whose beliefs didn't quite conform to whatever norm was set by the local guru) and who then proceeded to make recommendations to the group on the disposal of group funds (which were themselves a breach of Tradition 7). Not a bad effort for just one meeting eh! And incidentally the group still displays non-conference approved literature through which I had a quick browse and some of which was recommended to me (and indeed thrust into my hands gratis) by that same bleeding deacon (and this after I had quite insouciantly indicated I had not seen this literature on display at other meetings).  Not much doubt who runs this group!” 

Firstly, I am delighted to have found this site after a year of turning away from AA because of a sponsor from the Design for Living Group.

Discovering this site has spurred me to revisit the meetings in Wimbledon, excluding my previous home group.

I was a lucky recipient of rehab in …..... in October 2008 and three months later emerged committed to AA and furnished with the tools to remain sober.

Emotionally I was a soft-boiled egg without a shell, and experienced those inexplicable emotional trips and falls which AA enabled me to work through.

I spent another 3 months in ….... and I attended 2 meetings a week where you were effectively 'nailed' by the chair to identify every time. It was scary but empowering - especially an English middle-aged 'Sheila' amongst predominantly tough 'Bruces'. I made friends. 

Returning to my home in Wimbledon in the summer of 2009 I followed suggestions and attended many meetings whilst seeking a sponsor with many years clean. Unfortunately I fell in with a duo at Design for Living who demoralised me. One became my sponsor, although they operated as a pair. I was led to believe I had not even passed Step One and needed to attend 5 meetings weekly. I had plans to sell my home and move back to …...... but was advised by my sponsor to remain in my flat, draw back from my family, and cover my bosom!

I was thoroughly miserable and found myself questioning the enormous commitment I was being asked to make at the expense of my previously established new found confidence. Was I really just at the beginning again?

Visiting at one of the duo's homes, the sight of an industrial-sized Jesus on his cross hanging from the wall began to ring warning bells.

As I was driven to a meeting one Sunday the other side of town by the duo, instead of visiting my family, I was asked to read my daily journal aloud. I was questioned by the elder of the duo in a Spanish inquisition style at every sentence. I realised I was not being treated as an equal where we were sharing experience, strength and hope, but rather as a novice who needed to be shown the light. 

I found myself fighting for my right to be me and sharing about this at meetings. It felt contrary to the warmth the fellowship had first given me. 

I stopped going to meetings December 2009 and fell into a clinical depression for which I was prescribed medication. I withdrew and isolated and have just surfaced with renewed hope gained from quiet contemplation and rest. And having discovered this site and had my misgivings validated, I shall be going to a meeting tomorrow in Wimbledon, by my own design!

Thank you Fellas !”

Comment: None needed!

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous …. the real one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment