AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Sunday 18 November 2012

Are you AC (Alcoholically Correct)?


SHARING GUIDELINES!

Some years ago, when I checked into the hospital, they asked me about my drinking. I told them that I had 4 Jameson on the rocks every night. I omitted something small, they were 4 triples. Like most of my life, I told half the story.  

Then I came into AA. I tried to take down the barriers and let people know who I am. The problem I ran into was that some of my problems were not directly related to alcohol/drinking. For example, when I arrived, I was taking Zoloft. When I mentioned this fact at a meeting, I was told by an “Old Timer” [someone who's refrained from committing suicide by drinking alcohol for a significant period of time] that I should not talk about that at an AA meeting. I was confused. If I stuck to my drinking, I was only telling part of my story, BUT, if I talked about other things I was saying things that were not talked about at AA meetings. Talking about my drinking was “easy” because it was only part of my story.

With time, I realized that I could talk about murdering my parents, but not talk about trying marijuana? I could talk about “lust” but not about “sex addiction.”

It is very difficult to be AC [ Alcoholically Correct ] at an AA meeting. There are no written guidelines about what NOT to share.

With this in mind, I have ventured on a project to create, primarily for newcomers, some guidelines about sharing. I don’t want them to have to experience what I did …. Having someone come to me after a meeting and telling me that I should not share on what I did because “…this is AA and we don’t share about _______ at AA meetings…”

Realizing my own limitations, I thought that I would seek advice from those who are more knowledgeable than myself in formulating these guidelines. So, I am asking you to contribute to this project.

When it is completed, I will print it up and hand it out at meetings, especially to newcomers so that they will know how to share properly at AA meetings.

Below is space for you to list those topics which are not appropriate at AA meetings, and/or other ways in which it may be inappropriate to share.”

THINGS NOT TO SHARE
HOW NOT TO SHARE





                                      













Have fun! We reckon this list is going to go on “ad infinitum” at the very least!

Cheerio

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS And cheers to the member who sent this gem in!