AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Thursday 5 June 2014

'Strong' sponsorship or just plain bullying?


Extracts from the aacultwatch forum (old):

My female friend visited the Hampton Wick meeting about 2 years ago. I guess the balance of the sexes has improved since then. Although I would be wary of being approached by several people wanting my phone number - it sounds similar to the cult practice of  "love bombing" -  google it.

I have another female friend in the fellowship, sober many years, who was rudely shouted at by a male member of the Hampton Wick [Friday] group - a man called John B. Apparently this fellow is under the impression that he is a "spiritual giant" and "elder stateman". He deludes himself badly. No man who shouts at and attempts to bully women is worthy of my respect, and there is nothing "spiritual" or "gigantic" about that particular "guru". This same person - John B - also told a newcomer struggling with alcoholism  that he wasnt a "real" alcoholic.  The man then left AA and ended up in hospital detox severely battered by alcohol. Luckily this man is now in recovery, well away from the dangerous and false diagnoses of John B and his ilk at Hampton Wick.

Your expression "proper, by the book" What book? Please tell me what AA book talks about a "strong sponsor".

What is a "strong" sponsor as opposed to a "weak" sponsor?

I doubt very much that any sponsor - strong or otherwise - at Hampton Wick will help you to get closer to YOUR HP. What happens at groups like Hampton Wick is that newcomers are coerced into following a sponsor, and the HP is their (the sponsor's) HP by default, not yours by discovery.

For example, my Higher Power definitely does NOT want me on my knees several times a day. I know this quite clearly because I have worked the program for many years and have a conscious contact with the HP of my understanding.

The Big Book doesn't suggest that I follow a "strong" sponsor, but a HP of my own understanding according to my conscience.

I get the impression that "strong" sponsorship is really just a cult speak euphemism for bullying and coercion. What do you think?”

Comment: Yep! We'd say bullying!

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS To use “comment” system simply click on the relevant tab below this article and sign in. All comments go through a moderation stage

PPS For new aacultwatch forum see here. Have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment