AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Road to Recovery Plymouth – a finger in every pie!


Extracts from the aacultwatch forum (old)

Hi, everyone

I've been debating for around three years, whether or not I should post this message here. The reason I held off from doing so, is that it doesn't directly affect AA: however, it does have a big effect on addicts in other areas of life, but I can't find an equivalent platform to this anywhere else. So, at long last, I've decided to heck with it - if I post here and its not relevant, then a moderator can remove it from the board. However, maybe it will do some good...

Anyone who reads the AACultwatch blog knows that there is a strong cult contingent in Plymouth, in the shape of Wayne P's "Road to Recovery" group - there's a LOT of posts regarding their attitudes and adventures, going back several years and showing no sign of abating any time soon. However, the same group is also running an SAA group, very much in the same mould. I had direct experience of the group myself for almost two years, before I realised it was unhealthy and moved on.

The group, which runs under the name "There Is A Solution", was founded by a sponsee of Wayne P's (in the interests of anonymity, I won't name who), and they run it in exactly the same way that R2R is run. Almost everyone is sponsored within the group - and if not, you are encouraged to do so - which means that a pyramid is set up, with the founder at the top. Since the Golden Rule is, Do What Your Sponsor Tells You, it essentially means that the founder controls the actions of everyone in the group. In addition, the group completely ignores the Green Book of SAA, and instead uses only the Big Book of AA, changing the terms of alcohol addiction to sex addiction wherever they are found in the text. They actively dismiss the Green Book as unhelpful, with several areas that are, in their words, more likely to cause a relapse then aid recovery.

Like I said, I was in the group for two years. The general mode of operating in that time was to get members to come to both weekly meetings, attend no meetings outside the group (which wasn't too difficult to arrange, as SAA meetings are a bit thin on the ground), and we were strongly encouraged to also attend the open meeting of the R2R group on a Friday evening - in fact, this open evening was given higher importance than the Thursday meeting of the group itself! The only time in two years that we were encouraged to attend any meetings outside our own was if we went en masse to another group (I attended a couple in Bristol when one of our group moved up there, and a conference in London), to "spread the word" of how recovery "should" be done.

In not sure what the solution to groups like this is: if anything, to my mind they're potentially more damaging to addicts seeking recovery than the AA groups they've spawned from. AA is now big enough that in a city like Plymouth, there are many different groups being run. At the time I was in the SAA group, however, it was the only group of its kind in the area. I had no way to compare it to anything else, and the only other twelve-step experience I had was of the R2R parent group. It took me two years before I was able to glean that things weren't healthy there, and I consider myself a bright and intelligent individual, who has read up on cult activity and methods for years.

I don't know that I can expect anything to change: this post is certainly not an attempt to rally a call to arms, or get the group disbanded. But I do think its important that other would-be members are forewarned about its ties and attitudes, and in hindsight, I'm sorry I waited three years to speak out.”


Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS To use “comment” system simply click on the relevant tab below this article and sign in. All comments go through a moderation stage

PPS For new aacultwatch forum see here. Have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment