AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Friday 18 July 2014

The 'Visions' – all 'puff' and no substance!


Extracts from the aacultwatch forum (old) 

When I first came in I had a "vision" sponsor and was encouraged to make a "cult" meeting one of my two home groups (a vision suggestion). I loved it with all the positive sharing and I even got a kick out of the way people (including myself) used to criticize regular AA as "those boring other meetings"!!...It was only after a couple of events (triggers) that I started to have concerns over this particular meeting and my sponsor...firstly my sponsor came up to the meeting one night from quite a distance away to check whether I was getting to the meeting an hour before it started...a suggestion...needless to say I wasn't and got told off for it....secondly his sponsor called me one day to chat and finished with "don't ever doubt your sponsor"...a suggestion...strange I thought...thirdly at a group conscience the steering committee dictated the format of the meeting not the group..the group didn't have a say...after this I parted with my sponsor and found the fellowship of AA waiting for me...totally different...full of love..genuine laughter and responsibility...I had to start again and this time the miracle happened...I rejoined society and now attempt to live in the real world and not some pretend its all OK "spiritual" holiday camp where I sort my problems out by calling a newcomer...recovery is about honesty and humility...you can't be humble if you're not being honest and vice versa....in short it helped me initially because I wanted to hear that its ALL good but it wasn't real...so no I think from my experience it does more damage.” 

The two main areas of focus for these cults are a) newcomers..this is an obvious point of attack as from my experience I didn't know any better..I didn't know how AA worked...I didn't know there were these cults inside AA...I enjoyed their meetings because they were all "happy clappy" and no one shared their silly little problems (I didn't know they weren't allowed)...the world was all wonderful in recovery..never a bad day etc etc.. and b) the longer term member who enjoys a little self promotion....they are very very good a boosting the ego..I used to go to a visions meeting where people would attempt to out do each other over how wonderful their lives were...I started to feel something was wrong and one day I went to this meeting and shared up how I was actually feeling (my wife had asked for a divorce..I was 6 months sober)...at the end of my share..guess what...silence..no thank you ...nothing...I had stepped over the mark..some didn't like what I 'd shared some didn't know what to do...I left..never to return..since joining AA proper I have had the love and companionship of the fellowship support me through all sorts of heartaches but they've also been there to hear my gratitude..and plus..I can be there for others as well...it is like getting sober again but this time for real...the freedom I enjoy now is freedom from active alcoholism but also freedom to be me without having to answer to any self appointed guardian..one person responsible for my sobriety..me..no one else...I look at these at groups and shudder.”

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS To use “comment” system simply click on the relevant tab below this article and sign in. All comments go through a moderation stage

PPS For new aacultwatch forum see here. Have your say!

No comments:

Post a Comment