AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Some more on sponsorship (and the decline in fellowship numbers) from I-Say


“I get so tired and sometimes amused by those who feel their way is the only way to work the program and others ideas are simply not worthy of consideration. When I came to the fellowship, thank God there were those around me who offered love and understanding despite of my early fumbling words. They allowed me to say what I felt at the time and helped me find a way to stay sober without the constant criticisms I see and hear from those who are so sure theirs is the "only" way to stop drinking. I was allowed to "grow" at a pace instead of being told how to do things another’s way which may have gotten me drunk. I was told by an "old timer" to get honest, I WAS honest at that time and was sad to hear that the same"oldtimer" died drunk doing things his way and not listening to anyone but his own voice. Thank God for those who listen and allow others to grow at Gods pace, not theirs.”

“Sponsorship is not a marriage!

Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 2011-10-07 22:11.

I was told to ask the Higher Power to draw my spirit to the person that was to teach me. I do not need or want a supervisor. My choices on my own didn't work out so well. But that prayer did. I needed someone to teach me how to live and work the steps. That is how I sponsor also. We can change sponsors whenever we want...even without talking to the one we are leaving if that is how we choose to do it. Just stop calling and go to different meetings.

Running someone else's life is inappropriate and has nothing to do with a sponsor's role in AA. My sponsor has 31 years and I am coming up on 22. I ask her advice from time to time, I do my 5th step with her and we pray together. She has done the same with me on occasion.”

“24 hrs a day, growth, "the course"

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2011-08-23 10:35.

I had not realized that there were so many practices by AA groups driving people away from AA, nor that anyone had conducted a world-wide study involving detailed interviews with those who came in and left as to what those practices were. Our traditions suggest that if I am unhappy with my local group's practices, I can call a group conscience to see if others share my concerns; and if they do, we can change how we do things, from what is read before meeting, to what is read during meeting, and whether we hold hands and say the Lord's Prayer at the end of the meeting. If the group does not agree with my views on the way a meeting should be conducted, I can vote with my feet. Personally, I am not a fan of chanting, holding hands, or the 24-hours a day book, and take every opportunity to share at meetings that I do not believe in a "god of anyone's understanding," but I recite the Serenity Prayer, the Lord's Prayer, and the Prayer of St. Francis when I find myself back at the center of a universe revolving around me. I might suggest reading the Traditions and a bit of other AA history to anyone who thinks they have "the answer" for themselves or AA”.

“My Sponsor is very hard on me.

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 2011-08-04 00:32.

My Sponsor watches me constantly in meetings, she tells me not to wear certain clothes, not to get in my purse, yells at me all the time. She says I can't trust my thinking or my emotions. She will not let me clean up after meetings or put my name on the newcomer's phone list. I try so hard not to make a mistake,but I always do something wrong. I am on the second step and I keep asking her to help me move forward and work/do the 4th step. She tells me no! I have 14 months of sobriety and I feel worse everyday...I do not want to drink. Thank god for that!!! I am afraid to call anyone else in the program because I do not want to gossip or say anything that would hurt her or anyone else. I am so isolated...what should I do?
I hope everyone here is ok...today!”

[Reply to above]

“My sponsor is hard on me

Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 2011-08-05 06:42.

Where does it say you need a sponsor to take the steps? If you can read and write well enough to share here, you can read well enough to use the Big Book. (USE, not just read)
Dump that so called sponsor before you get drunk.”

“RE: Growth of Alcoholics Anonymous

Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2011-10-04 04:47.

Our chairman of the board of trustees recently wrote in The FINAL REPORT NORTHEAST REGIONAL FORUM [US], concerning the membership numbers: counting numbers is challenging, they have been developed through scientific based surveys and are certainly valid for comparison from one year to the next. He writes that when we look at longer period of time, the lack of growth in membership is clear. Even though it is clear that our fellowship has lost over half a million members worldwide since 1992, and is stagnant at about two million, most AA members come up with reasons that satisfy any concern. I find that most alcoholics are good at denial or justification. The truth is that Alcoholics Anonymous has changed at the group level over the past three decades. Unless we reverse these changes we will continue to spin our wheels, failing hundreds of thousands of suffering alcoholics every year. We have 12 steps, 12 traditions, 12 concepts, and 6 warranties. The BLUNDERS we have made in AA number about 10. To correct these mistakes would cost us nothing in real cash. Our pride is what we must give up. The alcoholic EGO is powerful. I believe it is AA's greatest enemy. The mistakes (all which are reversible) have been covered on I-SAY over the past two years. I will not repeat them here. ENOUGH ALREADY!! ANONYMOUS”

Comment: Think on that!

Cheerio

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)