AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Sunday 29 September 2013

Conference Questions (2013) forum discussion (contd)


Committee No. 3 

Question 1: 

Inventory Question

Would the Fellowship discuss and share experience on whether we as a fellowship are satisfied with the level of 12th step work that is being done at the various levels of Service? 

Background: 

“Ask Him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick.”

(Alcoholics Anonymous, page 164)

Tradition 5

[See also: The Traditions, Preamble and Concepts]

Extracts:

The simple answer will always be No but then the question invites that response. My own experience (which cannot necessarily be extrapolated any more generally) is as follows: I was virtually dragged to my first AA meeting by my long-suffering wife. I didn't want to be there, didn't believe I had a problem, was - as far as I can recall since I was half pissed - welcomed accordingly, and spoken to at length by an 'old timer' (25 years plus) and even offered a lift home. I had no interest in the meeting nor in what anyone else had to say and I couldn't get out of there fast enough at the end. My second meeting (some year or so later) I got to on my own after ringing the phone office. I was offered a contact but declined. I didn't want anyone coming round to my home. When I arrived at the meeting I was met by a couple of guys who got me a cup of tea. The remainder of those present carried on conversing in groups about the room. I listened to what was said and at the end of the meeting I was given a Where to Find , a beginners' pack and a couple of phone numbers. I made my way back home. I repeated the same thing on the following day. People respected my privacy, did not intrude where they were not likely to be welcome, didn't tell me what to do and seemed to realise that they were not dealing with a complete basket case. I did get a sponsor (but only because that seemed to be the 'done' thing). I subsequently realised that I neither wanted nor needed one and thereafter relied on what I heard in meetings, my friends, my own experience and my own judgement. Now I'm an 'old timer' so it seemed to have worked for me. Over the years I've observed people getting the full 'treatment' who've relapsed time and time again, some leaving AA and some dying in the process. They might have been 'sponsored up' to the hilt, whisked through the programme without time to think, told to do this that and the other (whatever seemed fashionable at the time) and all to no effect. On the other hand I've seen plenty of guys break all the 'rules' (masquerading as 'suggestions' - of which there seem to be an ever increasing number), do it 'all wrong' and who've still managed to get and stay sober ie. they wanted recovery badly enough. In brief AA members do- and generally continue to do - what is humanly possible, which by definition is always imperfect and incomplete (hence the redundant nature of the question). The responsibility thereafter lies with the individual themselves and with their own conception of a Higher Power. In my view there is an over-emphasis in AA on 'human' power and contrivance (primarily through the much abused sponsorship system (referred to by Dr Bob as 'sponsor worship') and not enough emphasis (and trust) on and in the inherent wisdom and intuitive 'power' of every human being. An alcoholic who truly wants recovery is unstoppable and really needs nothing more than exposure to the 'shared' experience (and example) of others who have preceded them (without any accessory conditions or 'contracts' being imposed ie. what is commonly known as 'unconditional love'). For those who don't want what we have there really is nothing to be done and no amount of tinkering on our part will change that. That they do not recover is not their 'fault' nor certainly is it ours! It's called alcoholism. (see the three 'pertinent ideas' Chapter Five, Alcoholics Anonymous – any edition you like) “

Cheerio

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

See also AA Minority Report 2013