AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Saturday 6 December 2014

The Synanon cult infiltration of AA (Grapevine articles 1968-1979)(contd)


Extracts from the aacultwatch forum (old)

Fifth Step Meetings”  AA Grapevine March 1968Vol. 24 No. 10 http://da.aagrapevine.org/

"Small groups. . .laying it on the line with each other. Nothing held back. . .

I'VE HAD the good fortune to hear Bill W. speak on several occasions. Each time, I have detected a note of wistfulness when he was recounting his experiences in the early days. Small groups of five or six, laying it on the line with each other. Nothing held back, a real eyeball-to-eyeball confrontation. Perhaps this is one of the reasons AA grew slowly at first. Being that honest isn't easy, even in a small group.

Now, for the most part, at least in my area, groups are large, even the closed ones. For the timid and tender, this is not a climate conducive to the disclosure in depth many of us have need of. As a sponsor during my "phony years," I was incapable of giving many a newcomer what he sought. I could only model the clothes that fit--suggesting he go to many meetings, read the Big Book, talk with other members, etc. The cloak of honesty was not a part of my wardrobe, so how could I possibly display it? I had no firsthand experience with this sort of coaching, either. I had to learn my lesson the hard way.

Both speaker and participation meetings are fine for the purpose of identification. Discussion and study groups are primarily concerned with learning what to do and "how it works." Mostly, this talk is confined to generalities, with precious few specific disclosures in depth. By and large, most of the time is spent recounting "what I was like, what happened, and what I'm like now." With a few notable exceptions, ninety-five percent of this time is devoted to what I was like, three percent to what happened, and two percent to what I'm like now (assuming, of course, that any change has occurred beyond hanging up the dipper). It quite often winds up with something to the effect that "And then I came to AA," with the intent to convey that all is now peachy-dandy. True, the new person may have been able to identify; he may get further encouragement from talking with others over the coffee and doughnuts; but the burning question of how he is to get well is still uppermost in his mind.

We glibly speak of our concern for new people and say that they are the lifeblood of the Fellowship, but as soon as the meeting is over we break up into small groups for the social contact that seems to be so very important. All too frequently, the new person is left to his own devices, and the glowing words of concern just expressed turn out to be just that--words.

Procedure or format of the meetings has also become quite important. Reading "what AA is," the Steps, Traditions, announcements, secretary's report, other meetings--you name it. Let the leader realize he has omitted one of these items, and he immediately becomes profusely apologetic. Form seems to have supplanted substance in order of importance. If AA does not provide the means for the unburdening in depth that so many have need of, where does one go from there? Little wonder that so many AAs are actively engaged in a search outside the Fellowship.

Criticism that does not offer an alternative is worthless. May I, therefore, suggest that the formation of Fifth Step groups might be in order? A return to the small groups of the early days might create a climate more conducive to an exchange in depth. I do not suggest that we eliminate any existing meetings, for the simple reason that not everyone wants or feels need of anything new or different. But why not provide for those who do?

On reflection, I discover that I could never think my way into right action, but I can act my way into right thinking. Two goals of the kind of group I suggest would be to rid ourselves of the burden of guilt and to concentrate on how we are acting now. I've also learned that if I don't feel right it's only my conscience telling me that I'm off the beam. I'm either doing something I shouldn't or not doing something I should. Procrastination is probably my greatest enemy, I might add. It isn't always in the area of big or obvious things, either. Let me become blinded to my neglect of the little things, and I'm off and running. This is invariably followed by the erroneous belief that some circumstance or person has caused me to get upset.

Further, I would propose that this Fifth Step group be an open, mixed group. Mixed in that it should contain spouses, mothers, fathers, in some cases children. Someone who is in a position to observe us in our daily intimate life. Someone who means something to us and can see how we are acting, as well as hear what we are saying. We say that alcoholism is a family disease, yet at most meetings the spouse is seldom encouraged or perhaps even permitted to say anything. Al-Anon provides education by teaching the family or friends how to live with the alcoholic, but the meetings do not normally include the alcoholic. There is no direct confrontation.

I'm aware that there are already many small groups in existence, but they are in constant danger of becoming sterile and ingrown for lack of involvement or confrontation with the significant others in the lives of the members. The only time things liven up is when a prospective new member appears, or a visitor from another area drops in. If you are thinking that a small mixed group such as I suggest would probably soon become a meeting of family squabbles, you could be right. It would all depend on the ground rules that are established in the beginning. If these are carefully spelled out and thoroughly understood, the meeting will not degenerate. Far from it. It will soon become an exciting and rewarding experience. Remember not to take the other person's inventory--and the field narrows considerably. To use the words of another AA: "Never mind the other fellow's sins. Your own will do very nicely."

Naturally, much more could be said on this subject, and in greater detail, but the foregoing should do for openers. Many will be indignant at the suggestion; some will agree; but I still say that within the framework of AA a Fifth Step group has a place. Care to join me?

Seeker Anonymous"

Comment: The short answer is 'no'! Remember that bit in the Big Book – something about sharing with a “close-mouthed, understanding friend” ie. not a bunch of people some of whom you might barely know!!

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS To use “comment” system simply click on the relevant tab below this article and sign in. All comments go through a moderation stage

PPS Join us on Diaspora* here

No comments:

Post a Comment