AA MINORITY REPORT 2017 (revised)

Click here

Monday 22 April 2013

Darlington – some concerns


We quote: 

Hello there, 
I just wanted to alert you to the activities of Alcoholics Anonymous in Darlington, in the North East. They have 17 meetings a week in one place, and the room is rented all the time - it is AAs room. 3 long term sober members rent it from the church then rent it to AA, and they call themselves 'recovery plus'.


... it was a very, very odd place. You had to have a sponsor, and if you didn't have one, it was the only question you got asked - nobody would speak to you if you had a problem unless you had a sponsor. Even if you had a sponsor, nobody gives a second opinion because what your sponsor says, goes. I know that individuals on medication for bi-polar have been told to stop taking the medication or get the 'sack,' ….... If you don't go to a particular spiritualist church, you are accepted, but never really one of the 'inner circle' of powerful members - who sponsor nearly everybody. I could go on. …...They do all the other cult-y stuff too - love bombing, constant, harsh self critique, Big Book dictated to Bill W by God, 'open meetings' not really open - all that jazz. ….... I was also told not to read any books except the Big Book (life long love of mine cut out of my life then) and people were warned off me - stay away from …., ….'s dangerous! (Because I didn't let my sponsor run my life and made some of my own decisions without calling [them] first!) 

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that if you are warning newcomers off 'cult' meetings, this is the one to watch. 

Thanks, 

...”

(our edits – to protect anonymity) 

Comment: Allegations have also been made of homophobic conduct within this group.

Cheers

The Fellas (Friends of Alcoholics Anonymous)

PS Our thanks to this contributor